Back in the fall of 2019, the Mayor of DC attempted to begin demolition activities insisting it wasn’t demolition.
WBJ: “District officials insist there’s no demolition work underway at McMillan site” by Alex Korma.
McMillan supporters attempted to ask the “independent” Attorney General, Karl Racine, to intervene. He has yet to lift a finger in support of the DC laws on the books, let alone safe construction activities (see dust blowing off the site in the video below).
Reasons to Halt Demolition & OPPOSE the Current, Taxpayer-Funded Plan to Privatize McMillan Park:
- City taxpayers are putting up tens of millions of dollars for developers to take the park land from us and profit from privatizing it;
- 20,000 new vehicle trips/day projected by the developer at the already failed and choking N. Capitol/Michigan Ave. intersections;
- There’s no existing significant public transportation, closest Metro >1 mile away;
- This corporate project will bring worse air quality for an area already afflicted with high asthma rates;
- The proposed plan has no truly low-income housing for what will be a luxury project on public land that is anticipated to have some of the most expensive units in the city;
- There has been no environmental impact statement conducted by city or developer;
- No competitive bid for development team, per DC Auditor;
- The plans include no neighborhood library despite community request, per 2002 Office of Planning report;
- The plan ignores Sierra Club 2012 request that “half or more of the surface [be devoted to] contiguous park and park-like use.”
- The proposed project doesn’t meet Secretary of Interior’s Standards for historic preservation.